Sunday 23 August 2009

IN SEASON

I've been severely reprimanded this week on facebook for a comment I made about my lunch the other day. I had asparagus, and as my friend Pete pointed out in a rather barbed comment, it is currently out of season here. He suggested I think of the planet, and the airmiles from Peru to here, which is where it had come from.

Fair enough, wrists justly slapped. I didn't think. I love asparagus, bought it in a rush from the supermarket, cooked it , ate it, and it was, as usual, delicious. But, it had come a long way to get to me and that's far from a good thing!

Especially as there are plenty of vegetables, and fruits, that are in season here just now, and so are readily available without all the transporting overseas, packaging etc.

Peter grows his own vegetables, pretty much organically and currently has the following available on his doorstep :

runner beans
beetroot
potatoes
cabbages
turnips
parsnips

So, really I have no excuse eating asparagus when these veggies and more can be grown and bought here. Cucumber, brocolli, peppers, and tomatoes are also in season - so much to choose from.

Fruit is also in abundance just now. Our strawberries have unfortunately finished, but they are still available elsewhere in the country, along with other berries such as raspberries and blackberries. Also plums, peaches and cherries too.

So, from now on note to self : I will think consciously before I buy. I am good, mostly, but I'm only human and make the odd mistake; in future I'll make a conserted effort to buy local, in season fruit and veg.

These colourful foods are so full of goodness, in the form of vitamins, antioxidants, minerals, phytonutrients,fibre etc.- they are an essential part of our diet, and a tasty, joyful, versatile, mouthwatering experience. Buying locally and organic, and eating them fresh, ensures the maximum amount of goodness is maintained.

The recommendation is to eat five portions of fruit and vegetables a day, but ideally aim higher and make it mostly vegetables, preferably the dark green variety.
Juicing is a great way to get all five in. I like to start the day with organic carrot, green apple and ginger juice - adds a zing to breakfast.

So, Petes going to deliver some of his produce to me; can't wait. And a client gave me some of her garden lettuce for my lunch today, again organically grown, and it tasted so fresh. And lastly (short blog today)I've found a lovely shop/cafe in Harrogate called Fodder, who only sell produce grown/made in Yorkshire, including cheeses, fruit and veg, meats and even chocolate. A bit pricey but you get what you pay for, and it tastes delicious.

Promise I won't slip up again, Pete.
RX

No comments: