I've been chatting to some clients recently about their eating habits and how they digest foods. Seems like there are an awful lot of undesirable symptoms going on following meals including bloating, burping, constipation, acid reflux, gurgling, griping pains and I could go on. And judging by the number of over the counter medicines relating to digestion we are a nation of people who could do with some assistance in this area.
So, todays blog includes tips for a healthy digestion and even if you add in one a week you'll be doing your gut a big favour. I'm sure I've covered most of this stuff before but it's always good to re evaluate, especially after Easter!
1. Don't do anything other than eat ie. concentrate on your meal (no tv watching, reading the paper etc. at the same time).
2. Play relaxing musci - so the parasympathetic nervous system kicks in and aids digestion.
3. Drink 2 glasses of water , clean and freash (filtered or mineral) 15 minutes before each meal. This stimulates digestive juices (alcohol on its own irritates the gut and activates the sympathetic nervous system which shuts down digestion).
4. Limit the use of dehydrated foods, as they often get stuck to the colon wall where they draw moisture out.
5. Avoid any foods you are intolerant towards or allergic to.
6. Chew food until it is liquidified.
7. Eat smaller meals more often (5-6 times per day). It's easier to digest and absorb than 3 meals.
8. Never supress the urge to go to the toilet. If you supress teh urge to defecate each day for as little as a week to three weeks you could cause a permanent traffic
jam. This disrupts digestion/inhibits absorption of nutrients and increases the toxicity of the bowel.
9. Wherever possible start your meal with raw (live) foods. All raw foods contain enzymes beneficial to digestion ie. pineapple and papaya aid digestion of meals.
10. Chew a handful of dried rice each morning.
11. Take digestive enzymes during your meal.
12. You should have a bowel movement 20-30 minutes after eating every meal, if your pooh train is operating on time.
13. Do the colon transit test - eat sweetcorn or beetroot and see how long it takes to come through.
14. To overcome parasites invading your gut and upsetting your gut flora, eat organic foods, raw foods, raw garlic, bentonite clay, chew your food, and keep your stress levels down.
15. Get your METABOLIC TYPE tested, this should automatically sort out some food issues. Contact me for further details or read earlier blog posts.
THE BODY IS THE BEST HEALER OF ALL< IF WE JUST LET IT DO ITS WORK.