Tuesday 1 October 2013

Chocolate Orange Energy Balls

I have always loved chocolate orange. My sister and I used to eat one between us when we were little, quite often!! Not these days, although I will occasionally have a piece with my son Ben, and my partner John when we have a Hawaii 50 night!! It's a great combination!

So this morning I decide to make a kind of healthy version. After several attempts I came up with some energy balls, flavoured with orange essence and raw cacao. I took them to GoYoga - Hot Yoga class today and the general consensus was that they weren't overly orangey!!  Lovely but not enough orange to call them Choc-Orange balls. So, on my way home I bought some oranges, real fruit has to be better than 'essence' ! Thanks for that recommendation Sophie! 

These balls are really chewy, they make your jaw work, which has to be a good thing right? And they taste yummy, and they look yummy. You could roll them in something other than coconut if you like, like raw cacao powder or chopped mixed nuts, but coconut always works for me.


Recipe :

1/4 cup Dessicated coconut, plus extra for rolling
1/4 cup Germinated Buckwheat (or similar)
1/4 cup Sesame seeds
1/4  cup Goji Berries
1/4 cup Hemp Seeds
1/2 cup Dates, stoned and ready to eat
1 cup Mixed nuts, I used cashews, hazelnut, almonds, and macadamia
2 -3 TBSP Raw Cacao, or more if desired
4-6 drops Orange Essence
Zest of a whole Orange
1/4 Tsp Sea salt


Method :

Place all the ingredients into a food processor ; I use my Vitamix, and whizz up until smooth.
Roll into small balls, and roll in dessicated coconut.

Place in the fridge.
Enjoy Chewing ! 

Rx



No comments: