Tuesday 7 January 2014

Day One : Juice, Smoothies and Soups

Day One is complete, and I'm feeling great, if a little tired. 

We began the day early; 5.50am the alarm went off!! I don't do that time of day, it was pitch black dark. John started his new teaching job this morning, and was just a little anxious. I gave him the responsibility of juicing, thought it would help take his mind off things... Just ended up making a great deal of noise that woke the kids and probably half of the neighbourhood. Lauren said the juicer sounded like a chain saw! 
Anyway, I was in charge of the breakfast smoothie, we're calling it Wake 'N' Shake, which I did I in the Vitamix. Quick and no mess. This we drank after a large mug of warm water with a slice of lemon to kick start the digestion. 

WAKE 'N' SHAKE SMOOTHIE RECIPE 
Serves 2

2 Scoops Sun warrior Protein Powder, Chocolate 
2 1/2 Cups  Almond Milk
Large handful of frozen berries
1/2 Large Avacado
1 tbsp Almond Butter
1 tbsp Chia Seeds
Large handful of spinach

Simply put everything in the Vitamix (or other blender) and whizz up until smooth!!! And drink - yum! Really yum, and filling. Make sure you sit down and 'eat' the smoothie. Swish it around your mouth to get those enzymes activated and then swallow. John and I gave this little recipe 8/10, pretty good for Day 1.

Following the shake I packed John off to work and got the kids up and ready for school. Walked Millie, my mums part time dog on the Ings,and collected wood for the stove. Cardio and weight training all in one by the time I'd lugged the wood home.

Ten minutes yoga relaxation and then a bath in sea salt to help detox after a 5 minute dry skin brush all over. It really makes the skin tingle and as the skin is the largest detox organ brushing off dead skin cells is an easy way assist.
Moisturised with organic olive oil and left on my skin to sink in before dressing.

Time for mid morning juice :

POWER JUICE
Serves 2 

1 large orange
2 tangerines
Large handful of spinach
3 sticks of celery
2 apples
1/2 beet root 

This juice is such a fabulous colour! And tastes divine. We both gave it a 9/10 and John literally made it up on the spot this morning. 


Lunch was Sweet Potato, Ginger, Chilli and Coconut Soup, a great steaming bowl full. A very easy recipe and the coconut milk makes it really filling.

I had a couple of tablespoons of fermented red cabbage with my soup, eaten before actually. I've been reading a couple of books with fermented veg recipes and it's apparently really good for the gut. My gut needs all the help it can get so I figured eating a little before lunch and dinner can only do good. It's a little bit of an acquired taste, but after just two spoonfuls today I'm already getting used to it. Separate blog post coming up.


Mid afternoon Snack : LIME ZINGER JUICE 

Serves Two
1/2 Lime
4 Tangerines
Large handful of spinach
2 apples
2 pears

Really simple, clean tasting juice :


Dinner : John back so he made this yummy concoction! He had a headache by the time he got back from work, but think it was more the anxiety of his first day rather than the food/drink. The soups is a variation on Tuscan bean, he added mushrooms which isn't in the original recipe but they worked well.

We're calling it Tomato, Bean and mushroom - pretty clear what's in it!! Very filling indeed. 

TOMATO, MuSHROOM, and BEAN Soup

Makes four bowls

1/2 cabbage
2 tins organic chopped tomatoes
Handful of mushrooms 
A tin of butter beans
Large jug of vegetable or chicken stock
2 red onions 
2 cloves of garlic
Coconut oil

Method : 
Fry the onions and garlic in coconut oil for a few minutes
Warm the tomatoes in a pan, add the onions and garlic, and strips of cabbage and the stock and simmer.
We whizzed ours up in the Vitamix , but you can eat it 'unwhizzed', the chunky soup version! 




In summary today couldn't have gone better! My energy levels have been great all day. John flaked out at 9pm this evening, I went to bed at 10pm .  

Successful day 1 -yeah! Not a mince pie, turkey dinner, Christmas pudding or cake, champagne, or chocolates in sight, literally, because I got rid of them all from the houses before today. I'm not saying I've got no will power but... 

Rx

No comments: