So without further a do.... Over to Andrea!
Hi Andrea, tell us what you do and how you first got into this field?
I'm a nutritional therapist; I help people to improve their health with dietary changes, using functional foods, and supplements (where necessary) targeting the root cause of the problem. Nutritional therapy is about lifestyle changes for long term benefits, and not simply attaching a sticking plaster over the problem as so many conventional drugs tend to do.
Can you explain how you inspire clients to take an interest in improving their health and well being?
With science based and anecdotal evidence, I help people to see how different their lives would be without that gut pain, arthritis, fatigue etc. etc. I show people how small changes can make a huge difference, and how it can be done eating foods they enjoy. It's not always about giving something up, but putting something back in.
What are your top three health and lifestyle tips?
1. Do eat a minimum of four veggies and two fruits daily to ensure an adequate intake of vitamins and minerals.
2. Move! Even a twenty minute walk helps the body to work more efficiently.
3. Cut down sugar, it is THE most detrimental non-nutrient known to man!
How do you start your day?
With a cup of red bush tea, followed by some exercise and fresh air before my usual breakfast of porridge oats, almond milk, fruit and protein powder(I'm dairy intolerant).
What do you regularly have in your fridge?
Almond milk, vegetables and salad, probiotics, organic full fat milk for my son. Fruit juice, butter, free range eggs, avocados, local free range bacon, organic cheese, cans of tuna,mackerel, salmon, home made mayonnaise and soups..... (Oh and Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc!)
What is your guilty food pleasure, go on, you must have one?!
Lindt 70% Chilli Chocolate....yummmmm!
How do you keep yourself fit?
I run, walk and cycle.
What is your biggest daily challenge - the thing that 'could' sabotage your good intentions if you let it?
Cooking for my son; he eats everything, and using cheese for him when I can't have it can be a real challenge.
Describe how you love to relax?
In a hot bubbly bath with magnesium salts after a long bike ride or walk, listening to music with a good book in front of the fire, and I also find cycling long distances very relaxing.
If you had three wishes that would help our planet, what would they be?
1. That people would be more tolerant of each other, different cultures and opinions. We are all entitled to our beliefs but don't need to impose them on others.
2. That the NHS wasn't a puppet of the pharmaceutical industry and that nutrition was a large part of the medical qualification, so that GP's would understand how important it is (sorry that's' two!).
3. That more taxes were imposed on highly processed, refined and sugary foods and that the revenue raised went towards promoting healthy foods and teaching young people the benefits of a healthy diet, and more importantly, the very real risks of an unhealthy one.
Thankyou so much Andrea!
Andrea can be found at mindandbodyclinic.net, and on Facebook as Andrea Wood.