Tuesday 13 November 2012

Orange Fruit

I've just been recommended a fruit I've never tried before in my life. How did I manage to avoid it all these years, I wonder. It's called a Persimmon, its orange, and I've just bought two! I rushed home cut one open and guess what: it's gorgeous!! There are two types, I've since researched. I got the only type Morrisons in Wetherby have and that's the larger apple type persimmon. It needs to be ripe to eat it otherwise its a little astringent. It's really fresh, juicy and so sweet- for someone who can't have sugar it's a real find!!!
This time of year is just great for orange fruit. We have all types of oranges, the big regular ones, blood, valencia etc and the smaller ones ; clementines, satsumas and tangerines. My mum tells me she used to get tangerines in her Christmas stocking when she was little!! There are mangoes, oh so messy to eat (best eaten on a beach!), and apricots all packing a healthy punch of nutrients.
The orange colour is what makes them so good for us, like carrots and peppers they all contain betacarotene which is a potent antioxidant. It helps big time with the fight against free radicals, those cell damaging chemicals we all need to avoid.
Eating fruit and vegetables every day that are laden with betacarotene is so highly recommended.
It helps the immune system, fight colds and flu, skin disorders, ageing and many infections.
Orange foods are also a good source of potassium, helping blood pressure and lowering the risk of heart attacks.
All round orange foods get my vote.
Just googled persimmon recipes and have found plenty. Most are laden with refined sugar so I'll be adapting them, getting good at that now, and think perhaps I'll start with Persimmon Upside Down Cake. Makes a change from pineapple.
Rush out for your persimmons today, you won't be disappointed.
Rx

No comments: