Tuesday 29 April 2014

Dinner Party Dessert- Raw Berry Bowls



So happy with the beautiful little treats! I think they'd be superb for a dinner party served with a fresh raw coconut cream or drizzled in raw white chocolate! The idea came to me in the night having seen a baked berry something or other in a magazine a while ago.

I put coconut oil in the base along with the figs/date and ground almonds, but actually it was quite oily so I've omitted it from the recipe. If you find it's a little dry you could always add a little to yours.

The vanilla custardy filling  sitting underneath the berries is to die for. I deliberately put quite a lot of vanilla extract in, to replicate custard and it's worked a dream. I also added some chia seeds as they plump up puddings so well and help them 'set'. I made the sprinkly xylitol on the top by whizzing it up in the Vitamix to make it like icing sugar. 


I put the 'bowls' in the fridge for a while to slightly harden before adding the filling, and then returned them to the fridge before adding the berries on top so they didn't sink too far down into the custard.
I wanted to use blackberries as well but couldn't find any locally so ended up with blueberries and raspberries. I guess sliced strawberries would look good too. 



So here's the recipe :

Base :
 1 cup of ground almonds
  1 cup of mixed figs/dates , or fruit of your choice

Vanilla Custard : 
1/4 cup coconut cream
1/4 cup cashew nuts
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 tsp Maca powder
1tsp vanilla extract
1tbsp Raw honey
1 tbsp coconut oil

Fresh berries for the topping
Ground xylitol 

Method:

Whizz up the  ground almonds and figs/dates to a soft paste
Press into individual cases, I used a bun tray
Place in the fridge to firm up

Whizz up all the topping ingredients in the Vitamix until it's a custard consistency
Spoon into the individual 'bowls' 
Return to the fridge to firm up


Place berries one by one on top of the vanilla custard, and sprinkle with ground xylitol. 


Enjoy!!! 
Rx


No comments: