Thursday 13 September 2012

Day Twenty Seven- Addictions


I have a client who I've worked with for a number of years, teaching him how to cook healthy meals from scratch. It's most enjoyable for both of us, but for me getting paid for what I love to do anyway (exercise and cook) is fantastic) . When my children ask me what they should do when they grow up, I always say choose something you're passionate about. What's the point of spending years of your life doing something you don't enjoy?
Anyway this particular client was a smoker when I met him; a heavy smoker. But not only was he addicted to nicotine, he was addicted to caffeine too and they went hand in hand. Coffee and a cigarette is lots of people's idea of heaven! My idea of hell but then each to their own....
He works next to a Starbucks too so it makes it easy to fuel his habit.
He never wanted to give up; said when he was told he had a serious health problem then perhaps he might....
This is the same for a lot of people who are 'addicted'. The thought of stopping is just too horrendous to even contemplate. Its their comfort blanket, their security, their best friend. Actually as it turned out for me, the reality is way less scary, but the mind set has to be right. Thats where a book by one of my favourite nutrition chaps comes in . Patrick Holford (who I've mentioned before) has written a book called How To Quit Without Feeling S**T, and its all about ending addictions to sugar, caffeine, cigarettes, illicit or prescription drugs. It's excellent, and his step by step no nonsense approach works so well. For me it highlights what a big 'problem' it is and I know over a million copies of Patricks health books have been sold, in over 36 countries around the world. Definitely an author to look out for.
Breakfast: Protein shake
Lunch: Omlette with watercress,avacado turkey, tomato.
Snack: Crunchy chocolate nuts( macadamia and line nuts coated in 100% chocolate, melted).
Dinner: Bolognaise with iceberg lettuce. This is one of my all time favourites; real comfort food.
Day twenty seven down, fifteen to go.

No comments: